Savor Summer’s End with Chilean Lemons
(NewsUSA) - Summer may be winding down, but it’s not over. Even as vacations end and school begins, summer weather and outdoor entertaining and activities linger into October in many places. Chilean lemons are the perfect complement to end-of-summer meals and drinks on the patio or in the park.
“With their sunny zest and refreshing juice, lemons aren’t just delicious, they also pack a healthy punch,” says Karen Brux, managing director for the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association. Lemons are a good source of many key nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. “You could say that lemons from Chile are the unsung heroes of summer,” Ms. Brux adds.
Lemons are versatile. Try adding lemon juice to marinades, lemon slices to creamy pasta sauces, or featuring fresh lemons in lemon custards or meringues for an ultimate end-of-summer dessert. When cooking with lemons, you can use their zest or juice, but try them grilled, says Brux.
Grilling intensifies the flavor of the lemon juice. Just put some slices on the grill along with your fish, beef or chicken. Grilled lemon wedges work in cocktails, too!
Try this easy recipe for grilled chicken with lemon:
Grilled Chicken with Lemon
- zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- coarse black pepper to taste
- 4 large chicken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large shallow baking dish, whisk together the juice and zest of 2 lemons, 1/2 cup olive oil, 6 cloves chopped garlic, 5 sprigs of rosemary, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and plenty of coarse black pepper.
- Add 4 large chicken thighs to the mixture, toss to coat and let the chicken rest for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Before cooking, be sure the chicken thighs are skin-side up. Cut the remaining zested lemons into halves or quarters, and nestle them among the chicken. Add a final grind of black pepper on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until the juices run clear. If you would like extra browning, briefly place the baking dish under the broiler.
Visit fruitsfromchile.com for more tasty recipes, and look for lemons from Chile at your local retailer through early October.